Chukka Good Hope Ultimate Thrill Seekers Tour in Falmouth Jamaica
Ultimate Thrill Seekers Tour at Chukka Good Hope – One of the Top Things to Do in Falmouth Jamaica
If you are looking for a tour where you get to do a bunch of diverse activities without having to drive from place to place, this is it – the Chukka Good Hope Adventure Falls and Park Experience, just outside of Falmouth, Jamaica.
Good Hope Estates’ history began as a sugar plantation back in the 1700s. Presently, the estate has about 2000 acres and is the perfect backdrop for this amazing tour, creating a unique blend of history and adventure amidst a beautiful landscape.
Package Options at Chukka Good Hope
There are four different packages to choose from at Chukka Good Hope:
– Ultimate Thrill Seekers
– Adventure Falls Thrill Seekers
– Ultimate Plantation Tour
– Estate Pass
We did the Ultimate Thrill Seekers Package, which includes the most activities as well as lunch.
We arrived at Chukka Good Hope around 10am and we left about 4:30pm. It really was a full day of activities.
If you don’t have as much time, or are looking for a less expensive option, choose one of the other tours.
There were five stations. We were literally soaring through and sometimes above the trees. The views were magnificent. The guides were wonderful. We felt not only safe but well entertained.
About ten tubes were connected together to create a sense of a gentle ride down the legendary Martha Brae River. I could have fallen asleep amidst all that peace and quiet. There were a few spots with gentle rapids which was fun.
Fair warning – If you are looking for whitewater rapids, this is not the tour you’re thinking of. This one is much more serene with scenic views and historical landmarks which your guide will point out.
We did not get as wet as we thought we would have. If you want to get out of your tube and swim in the river, the guides will let you.
Some sections of the river are quite deep while others may only be a few inches. The speed of the river, clarity, and depth depends on whether it is the dry or rainy season and or whether or not there have been recent rains.
The river has an interesting shade of green. For the squeamish, rest assured. The green color comes from the reflection of the surrounding foliage.
Kayaking was an option for those who wanted a more independent and active experience.
ATV/ Dune buggy riding
This was our first time doing this. I could not have imagined that it would have been that much fun but it absolutely was. We drove through a beautiful citrus grove. Participants have to be 12 or older to be a passenger on the dune buggy and 16 or older with a valid driver’s license to drive.
As much as I enjoyed the dune buggy, it was a little difficult because my feet could barely reach the pedal. I had to scoot forward on the seat to do so so that was a little nerve-racking.
There is a man-made 50-foot waterfall that you can climb that’s a little Dunn’s River Falls-ish. After you climb the falls, you can jump into the pool at the base of the falls. That pool is 7 feet deep with a 3-foot deep walk-around ledge at its perimeter.
Further over are cascading pools which follow along the water slide, ending at the larger pool at the base.
Pool and slide
There is a huge 300ft slide which starts two levels up and winds around down to the main pool giving 360-degree loops. There are assistants at the entrance to the slide to give you direction as to how to best enjoy the slide.
Great House Tour
Do you recognize this picture?
This is the house that was Winston’s parents’ house in the movie How Stella Got Her Groove Back.
The views are stunning. The architecture is impressive. It is a relatively small great house but has some interesting objects. I won’t give away any secrets but let’s just say that I don’t know what up with Jamaica and these plantation mistresses that they become the subject of legends.
Darrell and Darrian thought this was really challenging with several activities that build on each experience.
The birds will eat right from your hands. They will land on your head and feet. The cutest rabbits are there too.
If you love coffee, check out their coffee shop where you can get an assortment of hot or cold coffee drinks.
If you love rum, this will be right up your alley. We don’t drink so we skipped this activity.
Lunch was a quite tasty buffet with jerk chicken, steam vegetables, rice and peas and festival (kind of like a cross between a doughnut and a hush puppy) and a drink. This is a very typical Jamaican meal.
Just so you know … 12 Things to Know About Chukka Good Hope Before You Go
- There is a liability waiver to sign as soon as you arrive.
- Keep carry-ons to a minimum. Lockers are available for rent and are conveniently located. This is a wonderful amenity and we fully recommend guests take advantage of it. You can go back and forth to your locker at any point. In March 2018, the lockers cost US$5 to rent.
- Consider bringing a change of clothes with you so you can do the activities without worrying about getting wet or muddy. If you want to use the pool and slide and or climb Adventure Falls, you will get wet. River tubing was not as wet as we thought it would be. There were a few spots where it was muddy on the ATV tour but we didn’t get dirty.
- Long pants are not required but we like to zip in long pants or long shorts. We don’t like the feel of the harness from the zip line on our skin. You need closed toe shoes to zip line. We wore water shoes and were fine.
- Minimum age to zip line and for on river activities is six. Minimum height for the water slide is 4ft.
- The maximum weight for ziplining, ATV, and on-river activities is 265lbs.
- Bring sunscreen and mosquito repellent,
- If you bring your phone for pictures, or your camera, make sure you figure out how to keep it dry. There is a definite chance it could get wet. Consider a waterproof, hands-free camera like a Go Pro. No loose phones or cameras are allowed on the zip line.
- The tour is not wheelchair accessible. There is a lot of rough terrain. There are stairs to go up to the Great House. There seems to be a side entrance with albeit a little bit of a slope which might be manageable for people who can’t handle stairs.
- People with back or neck problems probably should not do this tour. The vans that carry guests from activity to activity are converted trucks, which go over very bumpy and uneven terrain. You will get jostled about a bit.
- Try to get in your main “must do’s” early. If there is a crowd, there can be a bit of a wait for the more popular activities. To save time, see which activity is open and make that your next one. There is no specific order in which to do the activities. Obviously, no alcohol before the zip line or ATV or dune buggy rides.
- Try to remember which bus you came on to prevent any confusion when it is time to leave to go home.
Whether you are in Jamaica for a few hours on a cruise or you are staying for a few days, the Chukka Good Hope Experience will certainly be worth your while.
‘Til next time.
Think and dream Jamaica!
Sherry, Darrell & Darrian
Considering a visit to Jamaica? Contact us today for more information about, Mais Oui Tennis & Spa Villa, our boutique 8-BR ocean view Jamaica villa rental experience in beautiful Discovery Bay, Jamaica. Perfect for multi-generational families, groups, and intimate destination weddings.
Visit our website: http://www.MakeItJamaica.com
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MakeItJamaica
Follow us on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/makeitjamaica
Give us a call: 866.624.7684 (toll free) or 914.709.0457
Sign up for our newsletter and immediately get our Free Discovery Bay Insider Guide to discover what you won’t find in the guidebooks.